Friday, October 21, 2005

 


Liz Phair week ends. Taking stock.

I hope everyone has enjoyed this special feature on Liz Phair as much as I've enjoyed putting it together. She's a special woman, with many years of great music ahead of her, and it seemed important to set the record straight after some of the unfair press that she's received along the way. It's all so ridiculous, and I probably shouldn't feel the need to address such stupidity. I mean, do you realize that people were accusing her of being a "sell out" back in 2003 when at that very time she made sure to wear a CBGB t-shirt in her publicity photos just to show how much respect she had for rock traditions and passionate songwriting. (In case you don't know, CBGB was the club where punk rock -- stuff like Green Day for example -- was invented. Wearing a CBGB shirt pretty much shows that you know your rock history and that you're not just a pretty face with a record contract.) Anyway, that's the kind of ignorance that she's had to overcome.

I haven't mentioned her new album, Somebody's Miracle, yet, mostly because I don't want to ruin any of its surprises for you. But you can take my word that if you loved Liz Phair, you'll love this one even more. Just as an example, the record review site Pitchfork has given it two whole points more than they gave Liz Phair, which ought to tell you something right there.

On Somebody's Miracle, Liz sings:

You can count on my love
An umbrella when it's raining
When you feel your hope is fading
You can count on my love
With me you'll feel protected
And you'll never be rejected
You can count on my love

This is the sort of thing that Liz Phair could never have written years ago when she was young and immature. It's straight to the point, simple, and beautiful. You can imagine Jesus saying something like this back when he was alive (although I guess they probably didn't have umbrellas back then).

Liz will be singing God Bless America at the World Series on Saturday night this week, in her hometown of Chicago. I don't know about you, but I can't think of anyone else more suited to sing a song composed by one of America's greatest songwriters of the past, Irving Berlin, than Liz Phair. And when she gets to the line, "Let us all be grateful for a land so fair, As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer," I know that I'll be thinking, "Let us all be grateful for a land so Phair!!"

Thanks for reading.

I Know What Boys Like by The Waitresses



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?