Sunday, July 31, 2005

 
I've never been so embarrassed. I'm sure most of you have read the piece that I wrote on Sally Crewe last week, and the subsequent correction. It turns out that I was horribly mistaken with reference to the photos I posted that were supposed to be of Gerard Cosloy.

What finally cleared things up is that Gerard IM'd me (he's "murderjunkyboy133" in case you ever want to chat with him) and we kind of hashed things out. It turns out that at a very critical moment during "Half Japanese: The Band That Would Be King" I was in the kitchen making a peanut butter sandwich, and thus I missed a very important plot point that completely altered my understanding of the film. Gerard was really nice about the whole thing, and even added me to his friendster list, so there's a happy ending.

Anyway, this is what he really looks like, and I am so, so sorry for screwing this up so badly.

I plan to take August off, for the most part, to concentrate on some non-musical projects. I should be back in September, though I kind of plan to pull the plug on Mystical Beast on its two year anniversary (in Rocktober, I think). That seems like a decent run.

We finish July with one song from an album called Monarchs by Jad Fair (an early solo album that includes some help from Birdsongs of the Mesozoic. It got reissued on CD several years ago, though where to buy it now I could not say) and one bonus track from an Annette Peacock reissue (as per a request). And you know what. I've posted Things I Noticed by Love Child before, but I was just listening to it again the other day and I really do think its greatness is somewhat overlooked. Maybe because it was a Will Baum song (Will = not the sexy one and not the noisy one)? I have this feeling that if it had been released as a one-off single by some unknown band in the late 70's, it would be a complete collector's item, but maybe I'm wrong. It's just so frickin' tightly put together, almost like a twee-geek version of Wire or something.

All Shook Up by Jad Fair
What's It Like In Your Dreams by Annette Peacock
Things I Noticed by Love Child



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?