Friday, January 21, 2005

 
Tugboat, not Tin Tin

Well, I was planning on writing about a great lost album from the early 70's today, but then I surprisingly managed to get in touch with one of the members who agreed to answer some questions, so that post is on the backburner until I get his email.

I've been meaning to mention Australian band Tugboat for a while, and since they say that their new album will be coming out soon, now seems like a good time.

glenn (he doesn't capitalize it) at the on-hiatus music site War Against Silence reviewed Tugboat's 2001 album All Day here at length, so read that if you want a detailed blow-by-blow.

I'm just going to focus on a couple of songs.

Before I settled on Tugboat, I was thinking of doing another Simon Fisher Turner post today, because I always pull out his CDs around this time of year. My theme was going to be something along these lines: if you took SFT's Nadja soundtrack and renamed it Das KolnSchrabben (I hope that doesn't actually translate into anything in German) and put a photo of some late 70's German hippies on the cover holding homemade electronic gizmos and a cello, you could probably sell a copy or two to your local Tangerine Dream fanclub.

(It's really an amazing CD...I posted one track long ago and I may put up a few more over the weekend. It works well in the winter in New York.)

Likewise, if Tugboat had released the fantastic and fairly Bats-like Don't Care, Really and Next Year's Words as limited edition lathe cut singles in New Zealand with help from members of the Tall Dwarves, you'd probably see the occasional eBayer shelling out hundreds of dollars for said tunes. Instead, Tugboat's album came out on a small Australian label, and they're not too terribly famous.

Such is the way of the world.

Recently there's been some excitement because The Unforgettable Arcade Fire performed a Magnetic Fields cover. ("Doesn't that singer sound like Wolfman Jack crossed with Bob Dylan?" asked my wife who was half-listening and who often does a better job of this reviewing thing than I do.)

But, since it's always newsworthy whenever someone covers The Magnetic Fields, I should probably mention that Tugboat do so as well, with panache, though fans of Under A Blood Red Arcade Fire might judge Tugboat's approach slightly lacking in the passion department. Here's Love Goes Home To Paris In The Spring.

Tugboat's website is here, and here's hoping that their forthcoming album gets some distribution in the US.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?