Friday, January 07, 2005

 


Monday is going to be kind of serious and artsy and all that, with some of David Cunningham's less pop work (he's the guy behind The Flying Lizards...did I mention that the other day?), so to tide everyone else over, here's a band called Eagle with a great, great cover of the glam rock classic Dyna-Mite, best known as performed by Mud, though apparently its writers Chapman and Chinn originally pitched it to The Sweet, and it was originally recorded (though not released) by a band called Hello, who we Americans seem to know almost nothing about. This version of Dyna-Mite has turned into one of my "go to" songs when I don't know what I want to listen to. I love it dearly.

It's probably the best track from a reasonably strong compilation called Blockbuster that includes the Donnas, Nick Heyward, Dramarama, and...um...a bunch of other people covering glam rock classics. Yes, that's Nick Heyward from Haircut 100, but if you've heard his later solo albums, like the wonderful The Apple Bed, and his channeling of The Beatles, as on All My Loving from Heyward's A Hard Days Nick, this isn't really that weird.

Eagle, who include people w/involvement with The Eels, Possum Dixon, The Lilys and god only knows who else, later turned into The Blondes, apparently after one of the Eagles got mad at them (I'm not sure if that really happened or if it just makes for a good press release). And The Blondes are a band that I've been meaning to check out for a while (they released an album last year, details and a short song sample are here). I'm assuming that they're not mind blowing, but probably good glammy fun. Any readers heard them, wanna comment?



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?