Thursday, December 16, 2004

 
In 2003 I had a bunch of posts about The 88. I'm still not quite clear on why they're not better known. To my ears, they're the first band possibly ever to steal from the Kinks' classic late 60's sound succesfully. You know and I know that if someone were to release vintage recordings of Ray Davies thinking about writing a song, people would buy it. So, The 88's apparent lack of success really puzzles me. I'm actually not sure about the extent of their lack of success. They've been on the soundtrack to The OC (and The Mountain, and LAX), and seem to garner a lot of prizes in their hometown of Los Angeles, but my sense is that they're not yet on the national (or international) radar. And as far as I know, they haven't cut the mustard over at Pitchfork yet, which is really weird.

I brought that up because they're going to be on Jimmy Kimmel (on ABC) tomorrow night. Ok, it's not like getting to serenade Katie Couric, but it's a start.

The 88 have three very nice mp3s on their website, so go here if you're curious. I'd personally recommend Elbow Blues if you're only going to download one, but all three are worth hearing (what I'd really recommend is buying their album, which I continue to hear as one of the great lost classics of 2003).

(Ok, yes, live they kind of look like dorks, but that's true of a lot of bands!)



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?