Wednesday, November 03, 2004

 
I'm writing this early on Tuesday evening, so maybe Bush/Kerry related things will be more exciting by the time you read this tomorrow. Meanwhile I'm sure a lot of us are bored with election news (especially if we live in states that are a foregone conclusion, as do I) so I'm celebrating the end of it (hopefully) with a big Yawn by Sarah band The Orchids. For those of you who vaguely know about the Sarah label as a home of twee, this song doesn't really fit that mold. It's more like slightly Jesus & Mary Chain influenced psych with exemplary use of minimal drum machine.

To date, the Sarah band that's seemed to get the most attention is The Field Mice. I was lucky enough to buy their compilation CD Where'd You Learn To Kiss That Way back when it originally came out, avoiding the fate of subsequently having to pay $80 or so for it after it went out of print. Luckily, things are looking up. Most people who care about such matters probably know that a major Field Mice reissue campaign is in the works (which means you probably don't want to pay big $ for Where'd You Learn To Kiss anymore).

Personally, I like the Field Mice ok but can't say I'm a fanatic. The Orchids are the Sarah band that really get me excited. I'll have more on them for the rest of the week, but it's going to start out, oddly enough, with this track by Kevin Ayers, called Butterfly Dance. I love connecting dots from strange beginnings...

Ex-Soft Machine guy Kevin has been featured in a lot of other mp3 blogs lately, so I'll just refer you to Allmusic or to his website for further info. I'm not going to post it, but if you're a fan of Syd Barrett (especially his song Rats) I urge you to track down a Kevin Ayers track called Song From The Bottom Of A Well. It's creepy.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?