Tuesday, November 09, 2004

 
I'll tell you once more before I get off
The floor don't bring me down.


I'm looking at the lyric sheet from the CD remaster of ELO's Discovery that came out a few years ago. In each of the other verses, the line is broken up the way you'd expect, but on the last verse they print the lyrics thusly. I wonder if that's intentional. Kind of changes the meaning a bit, no? I also always thought the chorus was "don't bring me down...vrooosh" or "don't bring me down... Bruce!" But it's actually "Don't bring me down, grroosss." Maybe I should read lyric sheets more often.

I'm thinking about ELO for two reasons. One is that I've been rereading the collection of '66-'73 Playboys that my wife gave me for Christmas one year, and the other day I stumbled across an old and unfunny ad featuring Don Imus, who I thought was absolutely hysterical when I was 10-11 years old (I didn't reproduce the whole ad...you're not missing anything). I should really send my dad a letter apologizing for forcing him to listen to that crap every day on the way to school. In retrospect, he (my dad) was really a trooper. Discovery originally came out in 1979, when I was 10 and 11, so there's that connection.

The second reason is that someone recently mentioned having trouble getting into ELO over at I Love Music, and the first thing that popped into my head was that I haven't heard The Diary of Horace Wimp in something like 20 years. God, I used to love that song with its little vocoder run amok. The spirit of Paul McCartney is all over Horace Wimp (and ELO), but I don't think Paul would've recorded something so overtly goofy (Paul's weirdness usually being a little weirder). I originally downloaded someone else's mp3 of the song, but somehow it didn't sound as big as I remembered, so yesterday I ran out at lunch and bought a copy of the CD.

(Incidentally, who would've thought that Borders on Lexington and 57th would have such a decent music section. I'm not saying it's worth a special trip, but I was not expecting to find a Merzbow selection on this particular shopping trip. I also finally got to hear that Rush covers album at a listening station, and it turns out to be somewhat good. Geddy's voice seems somewhat less piercing than it was in the old days, and their version of Love's Seven and Seven Is is kinda worth checking out. Not sure why the Amazon customers dislike it so.)

Even off of the remastered CD, Horace Wimpisn't quite the quadraphonic multi-hued blow-out that I remember, but 11-year-old ears have a way of doing that. It's still a great song, and I'm glad to be hearing it again.

At the end of the day, I was a little doped up on antihistamines and went walking down Fifth Avenue in midtown with Cover Me by Part Chimp blaring on my iPod, and it was lovely. BTW, Cover Me is the best song I've heard this year (it's not even a close contest) and I again extend my thanks to Spoilt Victorian Child for bringing it to my attention. It didn't come out this year, which is too bad as I'd love to make it my #1 single of 2004. The way the treble of the guitars is so suppressed during the verses reminds me of a song called "Go To A Party" by a band called the Fems (scroll down). I haven't heard that in a long, long time so don't be mad if I'm misremembering. I'm trying to track down a copy, but I don't expect it to be easy.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?