Monday, September 27, 2004

 
Hi, I'm back. I'd like to thank Sleeve for doing an absolutely amazing job last week. Hopefully he'll be starting the mp3 blogging thing soon. If not, I'll be asking him back the next time I need a break.

I'll find out in two or three weeks if I passed my Personal Trainer certification test, so for now I'm not going to require push-ups before downloading, but that could change at any time. One of my fellow students at the seminar was a celebrity!

I guess you've probably read or heard the news that Luna is going to cease to exist after their next tour. I have mixed feelings: they're still putting out albums that I enjoy, but I haven't sensed a real spark in a while. It's too bad they couldn't find a steady gig as a house band somewhere in NYC (like Beat Rodeo used to have). Not that they'd probably be interested, but they are a really consistent and good live band and it'd be nice to be able to drop in and see them play casually from time to time. I mean, the Velvet Underground did it...it's not like it's against the law for a "real" band to take up a residency somewhere. I wish it'd happen more often.

I did notice that Luna will be playing in Brooklyn at Southpaw on New Year's Eve, so that's probably where I'll be that night. Seeing them live has some resonance as they were my wedding band. (Note for people considering who to have as their wedding band: you might be surprised by who's willing to do it.) They were incredibly nice. Dean called me up beforehand and asked if I had any requests, and I promptly forgot the name of every song they'd ever done and had to communicate by humming, which was pretty embarrassing.

So anyway, Luna have a new album coming out next month called Rendezvous. It's one of those cases where I don't have much to say. It's good, it's solid. Sean, the extremely nice guitar player, gets to sing on a couple of tracks and I'm kind of happy for him since he's a fantastic guitar player who might be a little overlooked because Dean and Britta and the foxy drummer guy get so much attention. God, did I mention that just about every woman at my wedding wanted to know if the drummer was straight and single? I've never seen anything like it. Turned out he was and he was, but my female guests were all scaredy-cats (as far as I know) so I have no juicy gossip to report.

Much of Rendezvous reminds me of the lazy New York-in-the-summer vibe of the Penthouse album, which is a good thing. I actually took it for a test-drive just last night. After running at the gym, I walked up to Washington Square, got a not-so-great $2 falafel at Sam's (where I used to eat 3-4 times a week -- they have good days and bad days) and then sat on a bench eating, listening to Rendezvous while the ambient noise of some guitar players performing "Brown Sugar" (the set list in Washington Square is never going to change, is it?) leaked in through my cheap headphones. And let me tell you that this album worked perfectly in that setting.

From it here's Cindy Tastes of Barbecue. I'm only posting one song because 1) it's a short album and 2) there's no big change in terms of sound or quality on this record, so I don't feel any great need to convince people one way or another. If you're a fan of Luna, you'll probably buy this. If you haven't seen them live, by all means catch them on their last tour. They're very good, and not seeing them do 23 Minutes In Brussels live would be like not having seen the Feelies play Slipping Into Something live i.e. it's a great song that really really comes together in a live setting. (The version I just posted is the album version, from Penthouse. 12Mb, just to warn you.)



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?