Thursday, August 19, 2004

 


"Things I probably could have figured out earlier if I'd been paying more attention, Part Two."

"She ripped her glittering gown,
Couldn't face another show, no.
Her deoderant had let her down,
She should have used Odorono."


Odorono was a real product. It seemed like such an obviously fake name that it never occurred to me that The Who might not have made it up. So imagine my shock when, while leafing through a copy of a really old "true stories" type magazine at a bed and breakfast last weekend, I came across this. (The text is a little hard to read. It's the "Halgene" that makes Odorono work so well!) It was an American magazine from 1949, so I'm not 100% sure it's the same product that Pete Townsend knew, but I'll bet it's related.

According to this place the initial batch of Odorono had to be withdrawn because the instructions read "To use push up bottom." I hope that's true.

No, I'm not going to post the track by The Who. Partly because that seems like asking for trouble, and partly because everyone in the world should own The Who Sell Out. I actually need to conserve some server space for tomorrow's post, so I'm just going to point you in the direction of a lovely picture of Yo La Tengo's Georgia Hubley sitting in a vat of baked beans. Also, you might want to read about her mom and dad's work as animators here. My favorite piece of their's is Cockaboody (Georgia provides one of the voices) which is available here. And (wow, the internet is wonderful sometimes) you can see a sample of it, as well as some of their other films, here.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?