Wednesday, August 11, 2004

 
I'm going to be leaving for Minnesota soon to attend a wedding, so the Thursday/Friday post is going to be a rerun. I can promise you that when I get back I've got a couple of really neat vinyl-only things that I finally managed to find during my break last month. I've been holding off on one, but it's starting to look like Kim Fowley isn't going to reply to my email (I'm actually kind of surprised by that) so I may as well just go with what I've got.

I rarely talk about my personal associations with songs, since that's not what this blog is about. Today I'll break that rule.

I had gotten an album by a Minnesota band The Soviettes called LP II which came out this year. I don't love it, but it's nice energetic rock that sometimes reminds me of Sleater-Kinney and the early Replacements or Ramones. It's basically a good album with short catchy tunes. There can never be too many of those.

So the one song that really jumped out at me was Pass The Flashlight. At the time, I didn't know that the band's drummer is a guy named Danny. He's singing on this track. This turns out to be an important point.

So I'm listening to the song and I can't really hear all the lyrics, but there's this very Sleater-Kinney part where the women in the group keep shrieking "I don't know, Daddy!" or "It's right here, Daddy!" And of course, if there's a reference to "daddy" in a Sleater-Kinney song, you know he's up to no good. "My god!" I thought. "That horrible man is forcing his daughter to play pass the flashlight." I have no idea what "pass the flashlight" is, but it sounds awful. The song was giving me chills and nightmares, like that Sleater-Kinney song about the girl who has something awful happen to her.

As you've probably guessed, the line is "It's right here, Danny" and the song isn't about anything creepy. I do really like that track, even if it's awfully similar to the Replacements' Taking A Ride, possibly on purpose?

[I'm still getting a crazy number of hits from The Morning News who were nice enough to let me blab away in their recent mp3 bloggers round table. If the mp3 links here stop working, it's due to the extra traffic. They'll start working again after midnight. When I get back from Minnesota I'll figure out some way to scare all the new readers away. Maybe it's time to devote a week to a song-by-song analysis of the Starfuckers' Infrantumi...]



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?