Tuesday, June 22, 2004

 
Following up on yesterday, here's The Monochrome Set with the original Eine Symphonie Des Grauens. The lyrics are here (scroll way down) in case you're curious. They're kind of creepy!

That song is from their second single. As it happens, that's also the point after which I get off of the Monochrome Set bus. I do like their first single, He's Frank, a lot. After these two, though, most of what I've heard sounds kind of like The Jazz Butcher (ok, it's really the other way around) and not the early Jazz Butcher that I like, but the more mature (i.e. on autopilot) Jazz Butcher. This is yet another opinion that I revisit from time to time so don't be angry if I've just shunned your favorite band.

While I'm not generally thrilled by the Monochrome Set, their lead singer/main writer Bid has been involved with some subsequent projects that I've liked a lot, including the extremely influential Songs For The Jet Set and the Reverie series on Siesta. Another one of his projects released a very nice CD not long ago. More later in the week. (I say "projects" because he seems to want to avoid the concept of a "band" for his non-Monochrome albums.)

Before I go off the air at the end of June I have a grab bag of unrelated songs that I want to post. Stratotanker were a Brooklyn band that I never paid huge amounts of attention to. They sounded something like The John Spencer Blues Explosion, but without all of the "it's fake but it's real but it's fake" baggage of that band. Stratotanker were decidedly fake, in a slightly fun and goofy way. I'm not about to argue that they were overlooked: they were, you know, half-way decent, like a billion other bands. I'm pretty sure that unless an ex-member hits the big time, they're going to be forgotten.

They do, however, have one song that I really love. It's from their album Baby, Test The Sky (one of those Homestead albums that you don't think of when you think of Homestead) and it's very JSBX'y. In a perfect world someone would re-do this with better production, but that's not going to happen, so use your imagination if need be. Here's Armour Of Gusto, which has a great off-kilter guitar riff and a fun falsetto ending. Fairly disposable, but I'm glad to know it.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?