Monday, May 10, 2004

 
Before he made the world safe for white rappers, Rick Rubin was a huge Flipper fan with a similar sounding band called Hose. Their song Mobo Girls appeared on a strange single which was the first release on Rick's Def Jam records. I call it strange because instead of buying labels like most people do, he carved (gouged is probably more accurate) the song and band info into the center of the disc (along with some little pictures of a lion, a penguin, a crocodile, etc.) "Smurf it up, y'all" says the message in the run-out groove. Good single to know about when you're trying to prove your old school credentials...years later the Dustdevils did a monsterously good cover version of this on their Geek Drip album (Matador record's 2nd release). Hose released another ep that I know of, and had a few tracks on the Touch and Go compilation God's Favorite Dog, none of which are (IMHO) as good as the one I posted. I'm going to be doing a lot of 60's style rock this week, so I thought I'd start Monday with something totally unrelated. Sorry for the scratchy sound, but somehow I don't think it'll matter that much.

This is an interesting but not quite succesful cover of the Kinks' You Really Got Me...

...posted mainly to introduce this cool cover of Cream's Sunshine of Your Love by Bay City Rollers related band Rosetta Stone, who employed a strange mix of Giorgio Moroder and teen bubblegum rock on several tracks from their self-titled (in the US) album. Their official site is here if you want to investigate further, though I'm not sure you really need to.

I haven't mentioned The 88 in a while, and they seem to be picking up a little bit of promotional steam. They have a (not really earth shattering) video on their site, a song on the soundtrack to The OC, and some more movie tie-ins scheduled for the future. As I've mentioned before, the only thing wrong with this band is (apparently) their publicist, as the album itself is one of the best overlooked things to come out of last year. It's been a while since I posted anything by them, so here's Melting In The Sun. Tomorrow, in keeping with the sound of The 88, I'm doing some Kinks related stuff.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?