Monday, April 19, 2004

 
No One Knows!

[I decided to assume that you all know who the Feelies are, so no real explanation of what they sound like is provided. If you don't know the band, please buy their first album immediately. Not knowing who they are is about on par with not knowing the first Modern Lovers album. Sorry if that sounds snippy!]

Last week I mentioned the Twin/Tone site, where you can download a pretty cool live Replacements show. I didn't mention something else, and I suspect it's not as well known as it should be. I've taken a look at eBay, Amazon, Gemm, and a few other places, and it seems pretty clear to me that in general, people aren't aware of this.

["this" is the the fact that the Feelies album The Good Earth, which I've seen selling for $30-$60 lately is not, in fact, truly out of print.]

And even if people are aware of that, I wonder if they're aware of this.

["this" is the fact that the Feelies EP No One Knows, a companion to The Good Earth, which was vinyl-only and went out of print long ago, is available on CD.]

And even if they know that, I'm pretty sure that the majority of Feelies fans don't know this.

["this" is the fact that Shore Leave by Yung Wu, basically the Feelies with their percussionist singing lead and originally vinyl/cassette only, is available on CD.]

I long ago lost any perspective on the Feelies, as they were my favorite band until the early 90's, so I can't really tell you what their best album is. What I can tell you is that the Yung Wu album is fantastic (don't confuse Yung Wu with Wake Ooloo: big difference in quality), that it's the Feelies-related album that I play the most these days, and I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I suggest that it's utterly essential if you're a fan of the Haledon combo. It came out a year after The Good Earth and features the people who appeared on that album plus a keyboardist. Want to hear a few tracks? Ok, here's Shore Leave and here's Return To Zion, both taken from the CD version. Generally it's a little bit looser and more informal than The Good Earth, and includes more cover versions.

The only bad thing about this is that I really think the Feelies need a box set, and the way Twin/Tone is handling things would seem to make that less likely, at least in the near future. I'd love to see a reissue that included, along with the regular albums, the two items mentioned above and various b-sides and the complete tracks that appear in the movie Something Wild. That last part would really make me happy. From that No One Knows EP, here's the Feelies version of the Beatles She Said, She Said.

Now, where's the Trypes EP?

There's at least one other "wow, I had no idea that was available, much less on CD" album on the Twin/Tone site, but I want to write about it next week. Please don't ruin my surprise!

Magic Dirt watch: according to their website, their last album Tough Love is getting reissued as a double-disc set, with the second disc to include a bunch of live tracks. Go to the fanclub section on their site for more details. I already shelled out for the first version, which came with a bonus DVD (that I can't play yet, as I don't have an all-region player), but I'm sure I'll be picking up the new version as well. I'm guessing that I'll have to order it from Australia, as usual, which isn't as good a deal as it used to be, thanks to the weakening US dollar. I always say this, but be aware that Tough Love is a lot poppier than their early stuff. Nonetheless, I think it's pretty great.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?