Thursday, April 15, 2004

 
First some news. Thou are a band that I like a lot, and I've posted their songs in the past. Annoyingly, they're extremely inept when it comes to making their CDs available for purchase outside of Belgium. Today I got an email informing me that they've finally gotten their act together. You can buy their wonderful I Like Girls In Russia here. Hooray!

I'm not going to post any tracks, but the whole album can still be streamed at Thou's website. I also see that they've finally translated some of the info into English (I know it sounds typically American for me to expect English, but they sing in English so it doesn't seem weird to expect their fans to...read English). There's a cute story in the Bio section about how they got the album title. A quick description if you don't know the band: blur + Portishead. It's more complicated, of course, but that's the super-short version.

I have just one huge track to post today, a lesser-known Brian Eno song. He didn't write it, and he only sings back-up and plays synthesizer, but he produced Train To Mercy by The Walkabouts with a very heavy hand, as if he was trying to fit it onto Another Green World. That one song is Eno's only collaboration with The Walkabouts (not counting another version on a 12" ep) and I get impression that he just happened to be around the studio. The Walkabouts are a very long-running concern, and have a great website here. Train To Mercy appears on their Scavenger album which came out on Sub Pop in '91, just in time to get lost in the Nirvana shuffle.

One more link, since I'm only posting one song. I don't have time to write a lot about Bugskull, but here's the Trouser Press article on them. (By the way, this is another write-up that originally appeared in Badaboom Gramophone's issue on bands left out of Trouser Press. Wouldn't it be nice if Allmusic accepted outside contributions to correct its myriad omissions?). I was pleased to discover that that 10" on Quixotic mentioned in Trouser Press is actually available online here (along with a bunch of other Quixotic releases). It's not like it's going to change your life, but the song False Alarm is a reasonably nifty bit of mellow indie-rock. It doesn't exactly sound like Pavement, but it probably wouldn't have existed without Pavement.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?