Friday, March 19, 2004

 
Somehow, I realize, I've never actually posted any songs from Magic Dirt's best album Friends In Danger. Not sure how that happened, though part of the reason is that it's a record that very few people like on first listen. But, since today's a Friday (traditionally a slow day) I'm going to take care of that right now.

Here's Sparrow and here's I Was Cruel, which would be my two favorite songs from a seriously strong CD. Friends In Danger, as I think I've mentioned before, was released on Warner US when they thought that 1. Magic Dirt was going to be the next Sonic Youth and 2. being the next Sonic Youth would be a good thing. Neither assumption turned out to be true, the album bombed, and Magic Dirt limped back to Australia where they've done very nicely for themselves (ironically enough on Warner Bros. Australia). The one good thing about Magic Dirt's failure to conquer the US is that you can probably find a copy of Friends In Danger for around $2.00 if you put any effort at all into looking. I maintain that it's one of the best loud-guitar albums ever recorded, but be aware that almost nobody likes it at first. The hooks start to come out after a while.

It's interesting to hear Magic Dirt's earlier attempt at I Was Cruel (from a 10" released in Australia/America with different b-sides for each country). I like the CD version much better...a few small changes (plus better production) really make a notable difference.

By the way, a new single from their great Tough Love album -- which received not one single vote in this year's uninspiring Village Voice Pazz and Jop poll if memory serves -- comes out next month w/three non-album b-sides. I'm excited, especially because one of the b-sides from their last single Plastic Loveless Letter (the b-side in question is Love Me) was one of the best things they've ever done.

Not that I need to tell you, but you'll want to play today's songs "at maximum volume" as they say.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?