Thursday, February 19, 2004

 
I'm going to continue with Fall related stuff today, using them as a jumping-off point...tomorrow I'll be moving into very different territory.

I've been listening to The Fall's BBC Sessions compilation Words of Expectation a lot lately. As you probably know, there are now one million albums available by the Fall, and every song that they've done can be had as a demo, live version, dance mix, instrumental, polka...you name it. There is literally no possible way to get anyone excited about any new Fall product.

Nonetheless, Words of Expectation features wonderful sound...much better than a lot of the original album tracks had. The performances are extremely crisp...I'd venture to say that a number of these versions are definitive (Jaw Bone and Air Rifle being one of these). Another one that I'm liking more in its BBC incarnation is New Face In Hell. If you're a fan of Pavement, some smarty-pants Fall fan has probably already told you all about this song. Bad Pavement.

After he left The Fall, Marc Riley formed a band called the Creepers. I haven't yet heard anything by them that struck me as all that exciting, though I kind of gave up looking at some point. My favorite song by them is their cover of Brian Eno's Baby's On Fire. There.

My favorite song by Brian Eno (from the phase before he ran out of ideas and had to invent ambient music in order to cover this up) is The True Wheel from Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy. Here's a really neat boppy cover version by the not-so-well-known band Pink Filth. Their label's website has some interesting things tucked into its nooks and crannies. This should be of some interest to anyone who likes the Divine Comedy but wishes that they sang about horses more often. [BTW, I haven't managed to get ahold of the Pink Filth album that contains The True Wheel yet, so I had to resort to using a tape from the radio. I apologize for that, but it's a really cool version and I don't think many people have had the chance to hear it, so anyway...sorry about the sound quality, etc.]

Finally, my favorite song that features Eno vocals that doesn't appear on Here Come The Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy, Another Green World, or Before And After Science (the first three are albums that I'm sure/I hope you already own) is Broken Head, which he recorded with Cluster (also known as Kluster), one of them thar bands of Krautrocky varmints from Germany.

Tomorrow: nothing at all to do with the Fall...



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?