Wednesday, January 07, 2004

 
I'm posting my top ten of 2003 today, though I'm still catching up with a huge number of worthwhile albums that didn't get much play on the internet (I think that for 2004 I'm going to go back to getting my music info from printed publications...sorry but the internet seemed strangely homogenized last year. White Stripes/Outkast indeed.) As of today, the list is:

1. Magic Dirt - Tough Love
2. The 88 - Kind of Light
3. Clear Horizon - Clear Horizon
4. KaitO UK - Band Red
5. Tegan & Sara - If It Was You*
6. MF Doom - Viktor Vaughn Vaudeville Villain
7. Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner
8. Laptop - Don't Try This At Home
9. Lilys - Precollection
10.Joy Zipper - American Whip**

*This originally came out in 2002, but was reissued in the US in 2003 and that's when I heard it for the first time.

**It's confirmed that the 2004 release of this album will differ somewhat from the promo (due to remixing...also the song Alzheimers will lose most of the dialog in the background) so I'm counting the promo as a 2003 release.

Of those ten, I've posted tracks here for all but three of the groups, so I'll take care of those three this week. Clear Horizon is a collaboration between Flying Saucer Attack's David Pearce and solo artist Jessica Bailiff (who was basically carrying the FSA torch already). It's possibly the best thing either has done to date. It has more consistent songwriting than most FSA albums, and has better atmospherics than Jessica's solo stuff. Here's Watching The Sea, sung by Jessica. And here's A Child's Eyes, sung by David (it begins very quietly, so be patient). The two apparently intend to keep working together, and I'm extremely happy with this turn of events.

I've never hung out in a bar with David Pearce, but here's his list of favorite albums.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?