Wednesday, January 21, 2004

 
Even though I was never a particularly avid fan of The Smiths (aside from The Queen Is Dead) today is hereby declared to be Morrissey day.

We start with the fact that I'm not going to buy Iams until he says it's ok to do so. Like Morrissey, I'm a somewhat pragmatic vegetarian (meaning I'm murdering an awful lot of meat on behalf of my cats) but there are a lot of pet food companies out there that don't test on animals, so bye bye Iams for now.

Also, it looks like a tribute to The Smiths is coming out next week (I kind of liked some of the sound clips).

Thirdly, a short (true) story:

Last year I was in a small bookstore in Park Slope, Brooklyn with my wife and a friend. Our friend met a friend of hers and they started chatting, which went on for a very long time. I got bored and started reading music biographies. So, I'm reading a bio of Morrissey (I can't remember which one, but I do know that it was published in the UK -- it had a price tag in pounds -- so I'm not sure how it wound up in Brooklyn) and this falls out of it:

My heart skipped a beat when I first read it, and it goes without saying that I stole the note (I probably should have bought the book as well, but I didn't have any money with me). Real? Fake? If you know, please tell me. I'm leaning strongly towards "fake" but hoping for "real." (The stains on the note are there because in my house, when we find something interesting, we make it a point to spill food on it as soon as possible.)

Lastly, in keeping with today's theme, here's a somewhat unnecessary cover of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, by the Divine Comedy.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?