Friday, December 19, 2003

 
This will be my last post of the year. Mystical Beast will resume on January 3rd [make that the 5th - MB].

My best-read entry to date is the Magnetic Fields/Stephin Merritt one (scroll down to last Friday's entry if you came here looking for that). So I thought I'd end with a couple of Magnetic Fields related items. Distantly related, though. Linda Smith is a home recording artist who has a longtime affiliation of sorts with the Magnetic Fields. She's opened for them a few times, though not recently that I'm aware of. Here's her version of All The Umbrellas In London and here's one of her 4-track marvels Confidence, which is a fantastic song that someone really needs to cover as it's a little too good to be forgotten. I'm going to do a larger feature on her somewhere down the road as she still isn't as well known as she should be.

Finally, I wanted to go out on a louder note, so here's Coffee Cup Revisited by 18th Dye. 18th Dye were a very structured three-piece who released two albums and an ep of minimalist guitar rock with lots of dynamic shifts. Steve Albini, very appropriately, produced their last album. Oddly, they released Coffee Cup Revisited, probably their best song, on a vinyl 7" where it languished in relative obscurity until they finally put it on CD for a posthumous singles collection (which is still pretty obscure...it's called Left if you're interested). I urge you to play this song loud.

Happy Holidays and see you next year.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?